Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Saying goodbye

The last few weeks have been a series of saying goodbyes --- with friends that lived far away, it was by phone or by Skype, with friends that lived closer, by taking the time to talk over long extended lunch hours which ended with long hard hugs and avid promises of keeping in touch --

Family is different --- saying goodbye has been a mixture of sadness for leaving them for such a long period of time, yet at the same time, a thankfulness and happiness for their having given me their support in a decision that, for me, had been so important. In their eyes I saw their efforts and strengths in making sure that I knew and felt their happiness for me but yet, when I looked deeper, I also saw their sadness my leaving was and is causing them. I am blessed and thankful for their love of being able to set me free and of helping me to realize a dream/a calling that I have had since childhood.

Within the last 4 days, I have left my family in Sweden and now my family in the US. I am on my way to the first day of my Peace Corps experience. I am off to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Many have asked me,  "How does it feel ?"--- Honestly, it is so surreal that it still has not really sunk in yet --- maybe after I meet the other volunteers? I will let you know when possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment